HALEYVILLE - One hundred years. That’s how old Waldrop Free Will Baptist Church will be on Sunday, Aug. 26, with the celebration from 2 to 4 p.m. That’s 36,525 days or 52,596,000 minutes, and the church plans on celebrating many more years to come.
Organized by John Levi Arnold and W.C. Downey on Aug. 26, 1918, the church was originally named Union Hill Free Will Baptist Church and began in the Waldrop School building. Another building was built while the church was in the school house, which was no longer in use. No details are available for this second building.
The land where the church is was donated to the congregation by R.B. Waldrop in 1922. The third building was later incorporated into the newer brick building which still stands today.
See complete story in the Northwest Alabamian.